So I've done a little more investigation all without spending any money yet.
The Probotix web site links to the wiki which points to the MachineKit
LinuxCNC for the BBB.
I downloaded the 8GB image and installed it on a MicroSD card.  Stuck it in
a Rev B (2GB FLASH) BBB and booted.
It shows up as 192.168.0.124 on my network and after a few hours struggling
to get Xming working I now have the following up and running.

http://www.autoartisans.com/cnc/PBX_BB_Xming.jpg

Clearly it's been configured for the Probotix BB Cape.  And there's no input
set up for a spindle sensor.  This is really a Mill or Rapid Prototyper
configuration.

The previous MachineKit I installed wasn't that much different.

Forgetting for the moment a controllable speed spindle and just going for a
single pulse per rev spindle sensor where would I begin to set up this
system to run a lathe?  I have to use X and Z for the cross slide and lead
screw respectively.  That leaves the pins for Y and A.  There are limit
inputs for ESTOP, XYZ & A for limits.

I almost wonder if there should be a book called "Beagle Board MachineKit
Linux CNC for Dummies with Windows 7".

John Dammeyer