On 01/01/2016 11:28 PM, Mark Johnsen wrote:
> Anyway, I've been reading all the posts here and on the IRC as I've been
> away for X-mas Holiday and I think I would like to be able to measure the
> noise to be able to determine if my changes make an effect.  I've
> unsuccessfully dealt w/ noise issues before and find it a daunting task to
> trouble shoot.

Noise problems are the most difficult to trace because the source(s) can
be very obscure.

>From the current thread(s) of discussion it seems clear that there is a
lot of confusion. I may add, as a relatively experienced EE/CS guy, I
have a hard time once in a while wrapping my head around noise problems.
Having high power systems combined with low power control systems makes
it only harder.

It seems appropriate to make how-and-why-to-connect list and a checklist
of do's and don'ts added with a structured guide how to track problems.
I have to think a bit about that, but it seems a reasonable thing to do.
However, it may not be finished overnight and input is welcome.

> I'm assuming using a scope is the right way to do it?

Yes and no. It depends on what you are tracking and how it is induced. A
scope may actually worsen or remove the problem under certain
circumstances because the scope influences the system. That is what
makes it so hard to track.

--
Greetings Bertho

(disclaimers are disclaimed)