On 01/02/2016 01:41 AM, John Kasunich wrote:
> This is one of those cases where electrical practices on opposite
> sides of oceans differ significantly.

Yes, there are some significant differences. That has become obvious.

[snip]
> Three phase or single phase doesn't matter.  When a transformer delivers
> power at 120VAC one side is grounded.  There are a few very limited
> exceptions in the code, such as:
[snip]
> Some more detail at:
> http://www.ecmag.com/section/codes-standards/motor-control-circuits-ground-or-not-ground

That is a nice link because the first paragraph apparently gives the
answer afaics:
        If a motor control circuit is tapped from the motor circuit and
        does not leave the controller enclosure (the push buttons are
        in the cover), then it need not be grounded. [90-7 ΒΆ 2,
        300-1(b), 450-1 Exc.No.2]

The control circuit is inside and the PC with all other control logic
and electronics too. Nothing ever leaves the enclosure. So, that would
mean that my argument still holds. Or am I reading this completely wrong?

--
Greetings Bertho

(disclaimers are disclaimed)