On Monday 25 January 2016 14:48:49 John Kasunich wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016, at 02:17 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Even unloaded, the slippage is usually north of 20 rpm & quite
> > visible.
>
> Guess that depends on the motor.
>
> Modern industrial size (1HP and up) three-phase high efficiency
> induction motors often have rated speeds of 1780 or 1785 RPM,
> four-pole 60Hz.
>
> That means that slip at full load is 15 or 20 RPM.  Slip is fairly
> linear with load, so a 10HP motor spinning nothing but its own cooling
> fans can easily have less than 1 RPM of slip.

That is for 3 phase John, which is considerably more efficient. On single
phase with a running capacitor on the 2nd winding, it will be worse, and
the common ones that have a starting winding, leaving a single winding
once speed has been achieved, 1750 is about tops, and often closer to
1725 for the fractional horse stuff.  But as you note, a 10hp is big
enough people pay attention to the power meter's rpms, so they are
usually quite a bit better. At a no load idle, a 100HP might draw only
4x what a 10HP does in my observations. That I believe translates
directly to a lower "slippage" at no load.

I often judged how well a fan system or a cooling water pump was being
loaded by measuring amps on a phase, if its pulling right at the
nameplate FLA, then I have the pulley ratios correct.