There is a much smaller CNC mill ( with 4th axis, I think) for sale on Public
Surplus. As of today it is listed at $355. Akron, Ohio.
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/uakron,oh/auction/view?auc=1528956

    On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:35 PM, Dave Cole <linuxcncro...@gmail.com>
wrote:

 On 1/26/2016 11:47 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 26 January 2016 at 07:00, Dave Cole <linuxcncro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If Siemens can't get standard AC squirrel cage motors to position
>> precisely, I doubt that anyone can.
> They can't with standard induction motors. But induction servo motors
> do exist and Siemens make them:
> https://support.industry.siemens.com/tf/ww/en/posts/asynchronous-servo-motor-v-s-asynchronous-motor/75942/?page=0&pageSize=10

The term "servo motor" does not necessarily imply a positioning drive.

This is Siemens explanation since they make so many drives and motors
for different uses:

https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/en/WW/Catalog/Products/10045149?tree=CatalogTree

Notice that the 1PH8 motors are Simotics M main motors and they say they
are for precise and smooth running of rotary axes.

The Simotics S is the true positioning servo motors that are put on CNC
machines for position drives.

Years ago (early 90's)  when I was working for Siemens, I visited a
company in or near Cleveland, OH that was making high end spindle drives
and motors.
I forget the company's name.  But the company contacted Siemens since
they wanted to use Siemens drives with their motors.  I think I was one
of the first guys to visit the company from
Siemens.    At the time, the existing Siemens drives could not control
their motors.  Their motors were a hybrid motor that could be act as an
induction motor at high speeds yet could do very accurate positioning at
low speeds with decent torque.  It was a near perfect motor for a
machine tool spindle.  About a year later Siemens bought the company
and acquired their patents and  dissolved the company.    I met the
company owner and I think he was happy to sell out to Siemens.  I'm
sure that he did very well in the sale.

Dave