The positioning ability of an induction motor is no different to that of a
DC servo motor.  When no torque is needed both go to zero voltage/current
to stop moving (though technically an induction motor can maintain a DC
current if it chooses to to provide braking - similar to shorting out the
DC motor leads.)  When torque is needed to maintain position excitation
must be applied to each.  Only difference is one is DC and one is AC.
There are plenty of AC induction servos.  They are typically one of the
highest performance machines as the rotor inertia can be made lower than DC
or PMSM rotors.  It does take more advanced control software.  Also, the
wider torque vs speed curves are typically unmatched.