On Wed, Feb 3, 2016, at 11:49 AM, Rafael wrote:

> Problem with all those boards is in the fact that they have no common
> bus so that others could build standard interfaces on open architecture.
> All seem to be built to replace a PC with most of it's functionality.
>
> Want to make a common box, bad luck. Everybody comes with their own
> silly PCB shape, hole positions, and names for add on boards, unsuitable
> connectors on all sides so you need space around them, or include chips
> that are not needed in embedded applications. Who needs audio or 4K
> video on 3D printer or small CNC machine?
>
> In that regard we are back to early 80's or later when some interfaces
> did not work in different PCs even though the connectors were the same.

Another problem with all these boards is that they have "flash in the pan"
life cycles.  The PC was a stable and viable platform for over two decades,
and you can make an argument that it will remain so for perhaps another
decade before finally disappearing.

RasPI and Beagle and all these other things have life cycles more in line
with smart phones - this year's new shiny is considered obsolete next year,
and the replacement is far less likely to be a "drop-in", so you wind up
needing new breakout boards or other interface hardware.

--
  John Kasunich
  jmkasun...@fastmail.fm