Yeah, and these "skewy" bits were the reason why in the days of parallel
bus connections all operations had to be acknowledged on separate wires
so it was made sure the bits had arrived correctly. This made
connections slow, but terribly reliable. The DEC computer series like
the VAXes were an example. This reliability was given up for the sake of
speed, but at the same time, useless games becoming dominant in the
computer world, it did not matter any more.

Peter

Am 04.02.2016 05:30, schrieb Chris Albertson:
>> Buses are changing from mostly parallel to serial. PCI is going that way
>> and USB3.x is very promising. It's direction most computer vendors are
>> taking. Simplifies cabling over longer distances if nothing else.
> I went to school (computer engineering) in the late 70's' and early
> 80's back then parallel was always faster.  When serial busses started
> outperforming parallel wires I was puzzled for a while then read up
> some.  The reason for serial being faster is easy,   There is no
> chance of "bit skew" with serial.   Bit Skew is when you have a
> parallel cable and some bits travel "faster" because not all
> conductors in the cable are equal.  Your max speed is limited by worst
> possible case skew.

---