On 2/6/2016 3:23 PM, Dave Cole wrote:
> Make sure whatever you do that you have a way to lock out the main
> breaker in the off position.
> Osha wants to see that and it makes good sense.   Make sure you also
> have a couple of red "lock out padlocks" around also.  Keep one with
> your tools.
> I had a guy come up to me and ask what I was doing just as I was packing
> up my things after servicing a machine at a manufacturing plant.
> The idiot who was with him ( a plant management person ) failed to
> mention that he was an Osha enforcement guy so I explained what I had
> done and then the Osha guy introduced himself.
> He asked if I lockout the machines I work on and I just pointed at my
> lock hanging on my tool bag strap and said, there's my lock. The truth
> is that the machines are impossible to debug with the power off.  But
> that doesn't matter, as they will happily fine you regardless.    The
> fines normally start with 4 digit numbers.
> I don't visit that plant much any longer.   They now ship the machines
> to another location so they can be serviced.   Their safety "rules" are
> so difficult to deal with that it makes no sense to try and do work in
> that plant.   For the same reason they can't keep any decent engineers
> or technicians at that location. I predict the plant will be closing
> within the next 5 years. The plant machinery will probably end up in
> Mexico.
> I'm all for being safe since it is my butt that is on the line, but
> there is a level of common sense that must be used.
>
> Osha and some plants seem to forget that from time to time.

On some other forum I read a post by a person who used to work in a shop
when a new CNC machining center was installed.

 From where the controls were, it was impossible to see the tools to jog
them into position if the door was closed. Open the door and nothing
could be moved.

The fix was a wedge someone made to jimmy the door sensor so the
operator could see into the machine when jogging it. It could be quickly
removed if an inspector showed up.

That's what happens when a machine is so over-saftied, it forces
operators to disable safety systems in order to make it usable. How it
should have been built is either with the controls mounted so that the
operator could see into the work space while standing at them, or the
door safety should only have locked out the spindle and turret
rotations, while limiting axis travel to slow speeds. That would have
made setting up quicker and safe. Select the tool, open door and set
position. Close door and select next tool. Repeat until all tools are set.

---