I too have been shopping for drill chucks.  Of all places amazon.com sells
a Southbend brand chuck (0 - 1/2" and JT33) for $27.00.  They sell another
HHIP brand that I have that I measure runout by placing indicator on a
length of dill rod mounted in the chuck.  I get 0.002 swing on the dial.
About $30 for the JT33 taper HHIP chuck.   The Southbend chuck is still
on-order so I don't know about it other then the brand name.   Likely the
Grizzly is actually HHIP but HHIP makes two lines of chucks that look
identical,  one they call a "drill chuck" and the other is the "Profesional
Grade Drill Chuck" they sell for about $15 and $35 respectively.  The pro
model is spec'd for < 0.003 TIR mine is about .002 TIR.   I'm buying more
chucks because I'd tiered of moving  mine between drill press, lathe and
mill.

What I'm getting at is that the generic Chinese chucks (HHIP is what I
consider a generic Chinese brand) can be good if you read the specs and buy
the right one.  They can also be let's say "suitable only for use in a hand
held drill'..   I'm very curious to see if the Southbend chuck lives up to
its brand name and still sells for under $30.

About hole drilling, Use a "center drill" first.  They don't wonder, don't
bend and make hole placement literally 10 times more accurate.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:

> Greetings;
>
> Everytime I go to drill a hole, using this POS chuck grizzly puts in the
> G0704 kit, its a huge fight getting the wobbly bit to finally grab in
> and start cutting somewhere near the center of what the DRO says it is.
> When I say somewhere, often 30 thou off the spot.
>
> Prowling catalogs on the net tonight I can across an import 3-JT that
> sounds usable, page 479 on Enco's online catalog, #290-1515 for a red
> one under $65.  Plus ship I assume.
>
> As that is at first glance, nominally a Ben note less than the real
> Jacobs, it sounds almost to good to be good.
>
> Has anyone else any experience with this, probably Chinese 5/8" max
> chuck, that you could share?
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)