I don't want bang for my buck.  What I want is a control board I can drop
into my haas, and doing it with x86 isn't very feasible.  Dropping a
embeddedarm ts4900 on a custom baseboard would be real slick, and it seems
that it could surely compete with the 1990's era motorola running at 40mhz.

Anyway, that is just dreaming.  Reality is that when you want to sell
equipment, most will run far and fast from self retrofits.