On Saturday 16 April 2016 14:11:07 Danny Miller wrote:

> I am setting up a manual toolchange CNC router system.   In the past
> I've worked extensively with Mach3.
>
> Someone just brought up g-code from an automated CAM that started with
> "M6 T1", and it barfed on loading because "T1 isn't a defined tool in
> the tool table".  This was the one and only tool in the file and
> already manually zeroed so nothing needed to be done for it, but being
> an automated CAM, we couldn't readily tell the CAM program to simply
> not say that.
>
> We made a tool table entry for T1 with bogus values ("T1" may be a 1/4
> ball mill on one CAM generation, then a 1/8" endmill on another, but
> at least it's in a tool table) and yet still got some sort of error
> (sorry I don't have it written down), then in the MDI typed "M6 T1"
> and got it to accept it it to run.  Weird.
>
> Based on what we've done with Mach3, I don't expect we're going to do
> toolchanges within a single file.  When we generate toolpaths with
> Vectric Aspire for example, if you use multiple tools and it's not an
> ATC you generate one G-code file per tool.
>
> IIRC, I had Mach3 set up to ignore the FIRST tool setup, because it
> was presumed you'd already set that up and to throw a "please change
> tool" message with a superfluous stop is annoying.  But a second tool
> specification WOULD, because that's an actual change.  At least I
> think it did, I rarely used multiple tools in the same file.
>
> I see there's the "hal_manualtoolchange" component which seems like it
> would fix this.  Is that the logical answer?  Can I ditch the tool
> table?
>
> Danny

Can't say as I can answer that as I've never had a config that didn't
have the manual tool changer code in it.  OTOH, I have files that change
to tool at 4 different stages in the file, and as long as t1 in pocket 1
are defined, it works.  I have about 17 entries in the tool table for my
newest mill, and am using those Chinese TTS tool holders in R8 chucks so
tool length is a known value until I break the tool and have to
recalibrate a new one.  I know this is not much help, but for me it Just
Works(TM).