I should have mentioned the beam axle was installed in 1849, not sure
if the bearing bronzes have ever been replaced on the beam axle. In my
time (about 15 years) I have only machined one half bearing on a pump
rod that had dirt blocking the oilway, we cleaned the journal surface
with wet and dry about 800 grit and reassembled, no problem since.

it is the regular oiling and keeping dirt out that keeps old stuff running.

http://www.middleton-leawood.org.uk/leawood/photos.html

Dave Caroline