On Tuesday 03 May 2016 04:54:32 andy pugh wrote:

> On 3 May 2016 at 02:51, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:
> > You should very conservatively derate the SSRs
> > in many circumstances, but especially where capacitive
> > inrush surge is possible.
>
> The PSU is powered through a 20A breaker and the SSRs are rated at
> 40A. The anticipated peak motor current is about 12A total.
> Would you suggest a hiher rating than that?
>
> > Do you know what the ACTUAL inrush surge is?
>
> I did, until the relay with the job of switching-out the
> inrush-limiting resistor failed. It should be much less than an amp.
> (240V AC through a 620 ohm resistor)
>
> >  Also, is it
> > possible that a momentary power dip caused a surge while the
> > SSRs were in the turned-on mode?  Possibly, there was a
> > voltage spike while the SSRs were off, and it caused them to
> > catastrophically break down.  You might think of getting
> > some MOV surge suppressors to put across the input mains.
> > Also, maybe get SSRs rated for higher input voltage.
>
> The SSRs are rated for 380V and are running on 240V mains. I have not
> previouslyhad any problems with mains voltage spikes.
> The PSU seems to have failed either when turned off, or at power-up.
> This is on a lathe that is not, as yet, working. I only found that the
> PSU was dead when I came to try to set up the X axis motor having
> finally finished the mechanical assembly and wiring. (I did not get as
> far as enabling the servo amps)

You may need higher voltage rated devices, Andy.  Without ANY switching
spikes, or the EMP from a nearby lightning strike, they are seeing the
RMS peak voltage of 338.4 volts (240 * 1.41) 100 times a second.

Here, the common $10 one is 480 volt rated, somewhat better than your 380
devices, but on a 240 volt circuit I'd use this one from mpja.com:

<http://www.mpja.com/50A-660VAC-Solid-State-Relay/productinfo/32171+RL/>

at $30 a copy.  You could probably remove the heat sink shown.

You need at least 600 volt rated devices, and some MOV's across the line
that will absorb the stuff above 400 volts. I don't see any such
critters on the mpja site though. The higher the joules rating, the
better, with 100 being a recommended minimum from grandpa Gene.  They
will need to be fused in the event they get too hot and fail of course,
but you could just let the circuit breaker handle it in that event.  I
would install them someplace where they won't do any further damage
should they explode, and where they are easily seen if you want to check
them for any discoloration or damage.

On this side of the pond, most, but not all of the commonly available
multi-outlet switched strips that sell for more than a 15 dollar bill
have at least a 50 joule device in them, and here in the coyote.den I
have a big one that ties power, cable tv cable and telco lines all to a
common point with a 250 joule rating for the whole works.  I haven't
blown anything that was plugged into that "master strip" in about 15
years now. Its on a 1500WA UPS but my brother color laser printers power
up inrush was too much for the UPS so it was plugged into the wall, and
it got blown about 6 weeks back.  I just replaced it with a MFC inkjet,
that seems to be permanently set in super ink saver mode, black never
gets any darker than about an 18% grey card.  Photos WILL be washed out.
But thats another story...