Am 14.07.2016 02:46, schrieb Gregg Eshelman:
> Looking at a small 3-axis CNC unit from 1995. All gold/orange anodized
aluminum bridge style frame with the spindle moving in X and Z on it while
the table on the bed moves in Y.
> The label says it's a Kaba-Keycut, date is from 1995.
> (The motors have German names etc on them.)
>
> Now for the kicker. The only interface connection on it is a
> DA-15 female plug, same as on old PC gameports and Mac monitor ports.
> I opened up the electronics box and there's zip, zero, nada, no marking
> of any sort on the PCB.
> My assumption
> How might I go about figuring out the pinout on this? If that can't be
done and no 1995 vintage manual can be turned up,
> Looks to have working volume around 2x2x2".

                ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
I request more information on the motors.
Are there encoders / resolver on the motors?

O.K.
2" by 2" by 2" sounds as if it truly is aimed at cutting keys.

1. In looking up the Game Port, it is analog,
(four "joystick position" signals, on four separate wires, five "Button"
 wires where transient signals can pass, with three ground
 lines, and four +5 Volt lines for plenty of bulk wire around
 to limit the effect of the transient signals passing to other wires).

2. I am remembering 1988 and 1989 conversations from a job, where people
asked sales engineers for a sixteen bit analog to Digital converter,
since they worked with 16 bit CPUs.

3. As a competitive assumption, I suggest the follwoing analog design.
 Assume a 14 bit A to D conversion of 1993 vintage.
 Degrade the design by two bits for sampling and output faults.
 You work with 12 bits, which can count from zero to 4095.
 Two inches divided by 4096 is 2048 bits per inch = .0005 of an inch.
   Position 0 pin  3: Paddle 1 line transfers the X-axis position,
   Position 1 pin  6: Paddle 2 line transfers the Y-axis position,
   Position 2 pin 11: Paddle 3 line transfers the Z-axis position,
   Position 3 pin 13: Paddle 4 line transfers
              the cutting motor speed command.

I assume you have a standard 120 volt plug on the machine.
A standard 15 pin "PC compatible Game Adapter Connector"
  is a female connector according to the diagram I am looking at.
  The text on the diagram calls it a "15-pin D-shell Connector".

4. Would you be willing to plug a pair of "no loss if they die"
   joysticks into the 15 pin connector on the Kaba-Keycut machine,
   if someone else was holding the Kaba-Keycut power cord
   in their hands?  Who can you share the fun with?

James Isaac.

P.S.  I am using "Upgrading and Repairing PCs", from Que Corporation,
      Eighth edition, printed in 1997.

Pin  In/Out  Description

 1    Out    +5 Volts,   for Paddle 1, Joystick "A"
 2     In    Button 4,   for Paddle 1 button
 3     In    Position 0, for Paddle 1 position, an X coordinate

 4     -     Ground
 5     -     Ground
 6     In    Position 1, for Paddle 2 position, a Y coordinate

 7     In    Button 5,   for Paddle 2, Joystick
 8    Out    +5 Volts, Paddle 2
 9    Out    +5 Volts, Paddle 3, Joystick B

10     In    Button 6, Paddle 3 button, joystick "B", button 1
11     In    Position 2, Paddle 3 position, joystick "B", an X coordinate
12     -     Ground

13     In    Position 3, Paddle 4 position, joystick, a Y coordinate
14     In    Button 7, Paddle 4 button, joystick "B", button 2
15    Out    +5 Volts, Paddle 4

[End of signal description table]