Gregg,
to say it clearly once again: The Sub-D (DB-xx) connector on the side of
your machine has surely nothing to do with PC technology, whatsoever. It
is just an (still) easily available, low power plugging system that can
be used for any purpose requiring multiple pins.

Especially, your connector has nothing to do with game ports, analog
inputs, network connections or anything of that sort. I myself adopted
Sub-D 9 long ago as my standard encoder connection system. And I am
using Sub-D 25 in my model ship as a RC-signal bus. Anybody is free to
make his own standards with it. Keep away any cable from that connector
until you know what the pins are connected to!

If I had to construct a machine like yours, I would fit a power supply
in the back of it together with a circuit board containing a indexer IC
and a H-bridge amplifier for the steppers. Their signals, step and
direction each, together with the limit switches (probably behind those
bellows) would be connected to the Sub-D connector on the side. To avoid
trouble with cables, I would chose a Sub-D 15 pin connector because they
are not so commonly used, compared with 9 pins. That's it. The rest
happens in software. 100% sure that the motors are pure steppers, no
encoders needed there. As a matter of fact, I have built such mini-mills
for circuit board drilling and fitted a precision miniature mill and my
large milling machine for gear wheel making that way.

So, you will find 4 or 6 step-and-direction pins, several sensor switch
pins (depending on the number of axes controlled and the way they are
hooked up), postive voltage supply (red) and ground (black or brown)
connected to that connector. These would all be identifiable once you
opened that darned case and mailed some pictures. Unscrew the circuit
board, fold it out and take pictures from the othe side. Look for 297
and 298 type IC's on the boards, they were used frequently as indexer
and bridge. I am very sure you won't find microcontrollers in there,
nothing to do for them is a simple application as this.

Greetings

Peter

Am 15.07.2016 09:39, schrieb Gregg Eshelman:
> DA-15. DB is the size of a PC parallel port. 9 pin serial ports and Atari
> 2600 or old SEGA game ports are DE. The letter references the size of
> D-Subminiature connectors. Apple's 19 pin floppy connector is a bastard size,
> used in very few applications - something on NeXT and Atari in addition to
> Mac and later apple ][ external floppies, so it has no official letter
> designation. (But people still call it DB-19.)
>
> Well, they haven't been made since sometime in the 1990's and the supply had
> completely dried up. Big Mess O Wires makes a floppy emulator for old Mac and
> apple ][ computers and needed those connectors but couldn't get any.
> Eventually he roped in NeXT and Atari enthusiasts and an electronics supplier
> wanting some - raised enough money for the 10,000 piece minimum order.
> I wonder what it felt like to have the entire worldwide supply of a new thing
> sitting on his patio? DB-19: Resurrecting an Obsolete Connector | Big Mess o'
> Wires

> |   |
> DB-19: Resurrecting an Obsolete Connector | Big Mess o' Wires
>     |   |

---