From: Gene Heskett [ghesk...@shentel.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2016 4:47 AM
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] EDM with continuous wire?

On Thursday 21 July 2016 03:05:51 TJoseph Powderly wrote:

> sounds great gene
> yes you were 'negative polarity'
> ( in usa the old elox company called this standard )
> brass works fine too, more forgiving
> if the tool gets black you are getting closer to lo wear
> tho low wear for brass is like high wear for graphite
> you're using an rc generator... so dontworryaboutit (james caan)
> everythings relative ;-)
> 1/32 slot? automatic? sweet.
> movies at noon?
> tomp tjtr33

I'd think that would be rather boring after the first 4 or 5 minutes. A
tomato can of k2, enough to cover it, is, by the times its into the cut
by .1", quite black, and in another minute dense enough the sparking is
invisible. And at nominally 40 volts, is hard to hear.  The last time I
did this, I had 80 volts, and with the 10uf cap, its was painfull,
easily heard a couple blocks away. This is so quiet its boring.

So it looks like I'm stirring a can of black, thin paint. I have a dvm
across the current limiting R and try by ticking the feed override up
and down, to maintain about 3/4 amp, but at that feed rate, even the
dampers on the motors are moving so slow you'd not notice them in a
video.  7 to 20 thou a minute.  Feeding both X and Y because its laying
corner to diagonal corner in a square container.

The disk isn't turning black, but is showing that it is wobbling up and
down a thou or 2 as the top has an rough feeling arc pattern over about
50% of its face.  The edge has remained pretty well polished once it had
burned down to holding a continuous arc.

How does distilled water compare to K2 in this sort of a scenario?  I
could source a gallon of that while the glue is setting to put the nut
I'm using for inter angle positioning back on.

Thanks Tomp.