Heat treating means applying heat to whatever material on earth.
Hardening is one aspect of it, annealing another, softening or making
malleable yet another. It is not to be expected hat all materials behave
the same.
Everyone knows that brass and other copper alloys harden by mechanical
stress and soften by heating. Just try to straighten a copper wire by
bending. Ferrous metals act different because of their crystal
structure, changing from martensic to austenic (that right in English?)
and back, which copper alloys don't have.

Peter

Am 02.08.2016 20:00, schrieb Mark:
> On 08/02/2016 01:40 PM, Stephen Dubovsky wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Mark <wendt.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You can't "heat treat" brass/bronze/copper etc (non-ferrous) to harden.
>>> You can only anneal those metals.  They do, however, work harden, which
>>> annealing takes away.
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>> FWIW, There are copper alloys that can be heat treated.  Beryllium copper
>> is one example.
> That is kind of atypical though for most non-ferrous metals and alloys.
> I always treated heat treating and annealing as two separate processes,
> the former typically hardening the metal, and the latter making it
> softer.  That's how I learned it way back when, but perhaps the
> definition should be expanded.
>
> Mark

---