On Tuesday 02 August 2016 13:09:06 Mark wrote:

> >> Gene,
> >>
> >> You can't "heat treat" brass/bronze/copper etc (non-ferrous) to
> >> harden. You can only anneal those metals.  They do, however, work
> >> harden, which annealing takes away.
> >>
> >> Mark
> >
> > I know that, Mark.  For many decades. :)
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Perhaps I'm not understanding your earlier questions then about heat
> treating?
>

> Mark

Heat treat in this context is "low temp" soaking at 475-525F for 1/2 to
one hour, which relieves the stored stress from the original extrusion
process.  This is why, when one goes to saw a strip off the edge of a
bar, the kerf opens up and both sides of a straight line are badly
warped, sometimes in all 3 dimensions.

My 4+ hours at a hair above 400 in a toaster oven helped, a lot, but was
not enough. We'll "adjust" the toaster oven before we power it up for
the next part.  With two IR tubes in it, I figure there's at least
another 150-200 degrees available.

Then if you want to anneal it, totally getting rid of the work hardening
it did while being extruded, or while you were hammering it into shape
to make something artistic, another temperature range comes into play
starting at around 710F where its not only stress relieved but the work
hardening from its previous forming operations is also cooked back out
and in an hour or so you will have dead soft brass again.

The only way to harden it again is by hammering and bending it.

Around 1650F will melt it so you can pour a sand casting. Which will be
dead soft when the sand is washed off.

And  now you know about as much as I do about brass. There seems to be a
certain amount of alchemy in the alloying of brass, not all of which is
readily available on the innertubes.

And I can truthfully say that at 81, I am not the man I once was, but I
claim I am that man once.  I just replaced one of the two fenceposts
that have rotted off in the lower run of our split rail fencing. Over a
decade old, but thats all that have failed so far.  Ignore that faint
knocking sound as you know what it is. ;-)

Whether I can do the other tomorrow, weather permitting, remains to be
seen.

19:40 locally, must be beer-thirty. But first I'd better go see if a
grocery list has materialized.

Cheers Mark & everybody, Gene Heskett.