Hello Nicklas,

On 08/17/16 00:40, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:
> I have tried to use voltage to control EDM gap distance but are not sure this
> is the correct method. I found a paper there someone suggested gap resistance
> is a non linear function of gap distance.
the gap resistance is used indirectly..
first the dielectric constant of the fluid is 'like' a resistor ( untill
a plasma spark is let thru it)
so, the voltage across this resistor can be a measure of the gap distance

> They also stated ignition delay time depend on gap distance.
if the ignition delay beocmes low, it indicates the tool is too close or
the gap fluid resistance has changed ( read 'dirty', and therefore less
resistance )

so it is not an analog a method as teh gap resistance,
more like a boolean saying "get back & wait longer between sparks!"

> I am not totally sure if there is a correlation between gap distance and have
> not seen it in my measurements.

  Regards Nicklas Karlsson

--------------------------

some edm models use it i'll try to dig some up pretty technical but you
seem to handle these data fine ;-) here:
*http://tinyurl.com/h4p32ny* checkout Rig in section 3.2 "Ignition
Phase" """ The gap voltage is refers to the voltage through resistor Rig
which is become a voltage divider between resistors Rig and Rshunt. """
Rig is the resistance to the inition ( the gap resistance ) Rshint is
the current limiting resistor in a classic transistiorized generator.
This article makes no determination of distance according to the result,
getting a number is not the way an electronic (non-math) servo works. an
electrical servo balances the voltage you want to the voltage you got.
distance is just a by-product, outside of the servo. do you want a
number? if so, why? also here:
http://www.wseas.us/e-library/transactions/systems/2009/29-363.pdf and
at http://documents.tips search for Modeling and adaptive control of EDM systems
(good paper by Dr Rajakur at Uni Nebraska , he's prolific in these papers)

you'll have to wade thru 'gotchas' and other cruft but no signup, no
fee, no tracking

hth tomp tjtr33