On Saturday 24 September 2016 12:11:34 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 09/24/2016 03:04 AM, john mcintyre wrote:
> > Good Day All,
> > Problems with machining sticky material.
> > I find wd40 or crc penetrating fluid in the pressure pack and use
> > the fine tube nozzle to direct the spray right onto the cutting tip
> > .
> > This is good for all sticky materials as it stops the material (soft
> > aluminium)   building  up on the cutting edge.
>
> The best fix for this is to keep the tool moving along the
> workpiece.  Don't take a deep cut slowly, take a light cut
> and keep the feed rate up.  This prevents localized heating
> of the workpiece material.  Also, I don't use any plain HSS
> tools, I use M42 or higher Cobalt HSS, which keeps a sharp
> edge MUCH longer.  For the small stuff, I use 1/8" solid
> carbide end mills, these work really great.
>
> Jon

And for alu, if the spindle can do it, all the rpms it can muster.
This reduces the time between the passage of a cutting edge for the oxide
to form on the freshly cut surface before the next cutting edge comes
by, as does some spray misted, oxygen free oil (safflower is nice) to
keep the surface sealed behind the cutting edge as much as possible.

That alu oxide forms behind the cutting edge in free air in about 1
millisecond, and its the 2nd hardest substance known to man.  And its
that oxide that eats our tools for lunch.  Even carbide succumbs
eventually.

For long jobs where the work gets hot? A goodly portion of that heat is
from the chemical reaction of the alu burning and forming the oxide on
its freshly cut surface.  Reducing its access to the oxygen in the air,
or in the water mix you may be using for coolant, will cool the
workpiece by a considerable amount.

Messy in the shop, but your tooling will thank you by lasting many times
longer.  You don't need much oil, but you do need enough continuous air
to feed the mister. If you can see the oil spray, thats way too much.
An once an hour is enough to make the shop air foggy if not vented
outside.  Hard to get off your glasses too.