I read the newspaper stories.  They are accurate but only talk about
package delivery using the normal post office reciprocity agreements that
all post offices have with each other.    Some packages are sent this way
but if we are talking about small padded envelopes and boxes that fit on
your hand from eBay resellers then they typically use the e-packet system.
The packet system is much different from the "normal" system.

How would I know this.  Just go on eBay can buy small parts and you see the
shipping options.   They can send it normal post or FedEx or e-packet and
when you see the difference in price most will select e-packet.  Most small
packages are sent this way.

The articles you liked to were correct but they just did not talk about
this.   The media does this a LOT, they report on something that is a small
exception and leave off the normal case, because "normal" is not news.

Another example is the US southern border.  The media would have you think
all the people who are here undocumented walked across the border.   But a
little math:  12M people came here over about 30 years.  So roughly 400,000
per year.  or about 1,100 people walking over the desert every DAY. That's
nuts.  Its thousands per YEAR not per DAY. Only the most ignorant and poor
walked.  It's clear that most did not walk.  Truth is they took airplanes
and drove in cars, mostly airplanes.   But again the normal case is not
news.

The news reports news,  They will rarely tell you the average woman has 2.1
kids but the one odd-ball case of that woman with 8 kids all at once stayed
on the news for months.

What this e-packet is, it's an attempt by China, the USPS and eBay to
invent a more efficient and cheaper system.   The USPS wanted their mail
volume up and their costs down, eBay wants to close more sales and China is
looking for economic activity.   Its a win all around.

For the Chinese seller it works just like it works for me here where I sell
on eBay.  I click a link and print a pre-filled out and pre-paid shipping
table, slap it on the box and place it out for pickup.  The US Post office
gives me a discount.  The same in China except he prints a label that has
bar codes that "work" in both China and in the US. Data enters the USPO
tracking system as soon as the label is printed I see the tracking number.
The Chinese bar codes to show payment, the US based tracking bar codes and
the customs declaration are ALL on the label the Chinese seller prints.
That get sorted by US zip in China and bulk shipped.  Typically the FIRST
US based scan I see was done by the US mailman when he dropped it at the
house.  This means he got carrier route presorted mail that did not go
through US mail sorting equipment.  USPO and China Post share tracking
data, so I can see the China Post scans.

One Catch:  This ONLY works for package sold over high volume on-line
e-commerce because they can capture the data at point of sale.  They know
the weight and both postal codes and the value and have ability to broker
the money and make large batch payments saving the post office from
handling a few million $1 transactions.  eBay can offer to do all this with
no extra work any anyone because they have to capture this data anyways so
it was just a matter on linking the USPO, China Post and eBay computers
together.

But, some small sellers have to go the old fashion way that your newspaper
article talks about.  They walk the package to China Post, pay for stamps
and depend on the US/China reciprocal agreement.  EVERY country looses
money in reciprocal shipments but in theory they all agree to loose because
it's better then trying to do the accounting.   But it's need been fair.
The country with the highest number of inbound packs looses the most.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California