On Friday 07 October 2016 11:48:07 andy pugh wrote:

> On 7 October 2016 at 15:47, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> >> I have never found aluminium to be non-conductive.
> >
> > Its a good conductor, IF you can achieve a 'gas tight' connection,
> > AND maintain it for decades.
>
> No, really. Get some aluminium and your multimeter. You will find that
> it conducts.

Force one probe to actually dent the surface so you know you are making a
connection WITH that probe. Then lay, or let gently swing to touch a
clean looking spot, the other probe, without using the point, or a sharp
edge on the test aluminum and the gentlest touch you can manage. Your
digital volt/ohm meter, which likely doesn't use more than its internal
battery voltage, 9 volts max, shouldn't be able to detect a connection.
You will not get a connection until you have applied enough force to
crush/penetrate that oxide film, which if its fresh, as in a 1 hour old
machined surface might be 10 atoms thick, but its still growing thicker,
maybe 100 atoms thick 2 weeks later.  Thats good for around 400 volts
before a single electron can penetrate it by a microscopic arcing.  Its
also the near top of the list of electrical insulators, I think only the
silicone dioxide used as the gate insulation layer in a field
(mosfet,hexfet) effect transistor is above it.  That 1 hour old machined
surface is still rough enough, and that roughness concentrates your test
force to the tip tops of that roughness, so relatively little force will
make contact as the oxide film is now mechanically damaged.  Arrange to
leave the probe laying there for a few hours. Because air can get under
the probe, the damage will be repaired, and the connection will
disappear unless sufficient force is applied, and stays applied so that
the oxygen in the air is forced out of the contact and cannot over time
degrade it.  This is then a "gas tight" connection, and many millions
have been spent designing an electrical box screw the top bolt in to
grip the joint and make a good connection today, and because it has the
right springiness, is still applying enough pressure years later to
maintain that gas tight joint in a gas tight category.

Its a very elusive target, and the electrical people are told to cover
the end of the wire with a grease called no-ox before they stick it into
the terminal and tighten the screw. I've seen union electricians that
had a tube of it in the kit, maybe 8 oz ten years ago, still has 6 oz in
it a decade later. I'd encourage them to find another line of work. They
are a long term liability on the jobsite.  OTOH, I've seen them stop
work and go get another tube of it when they run out.

Its job is to seal the air out of a joint, thereby preventing this
failure. In many locales it is illegal to use alu wire without this
grease. In the stricter locales, alu wire is illegal if the building is
a dwelling.