Gene,

   Unless you have a good air dryer, a couple of psi of compressed air
will cause more problems than it's worth.  On a rainy/humid day,
compressed air will be wet with water.  The bellows will trap the water,
and raise the humidity level around the ballscrew, which will cause
premature failure, due to contamination of the lubricant, and corrosion.

   A cheap water separator will get part of the water out, but nowhere
near all of it.  A coalescing air filter can get most of the water out,
but they are expensive, the replacement ceramic filters are expensive,
and they require fairly constant inspection.  They are used in paint
shops as a final filter before the paint gun.

   Why not use a passive way to allow air in and out?  You will still
have a problem with humidity, but it will be less than with compressed air.
https://amzn.com/B003Q6CBNY
https://amzn.com/B008OTNGXC

   BTW, airplanes use air filters that look like fuel filters. Maybe a
cheap fuel filter for a lawn mower could be tested to see how well it
would work as a vacuum break?  Attach a hose to the outlet end only,
leave the inlet open to free air, and connect the hose to wherever you
were planning on attaching your air hose. Depending on use, the lifespan
would be on the order of months, but they are cheap, and easy to replace
(Unlike an airplane).

   This is what a Cessna vacuum air filter looks like (NOT cheap):
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/Inline_airfilter.php

--
MC Cason
Eagle3D - Created by Matthias Weißer