On 10.10.16 09:58, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Where are you that the weather took such a serious swipe at you?

In the Dandenong ranges, at an altitude of 600', on the outskirts of
Melbourne, Victoria. (38°S) The 120 km/h winds are not so common here;
the last time I experienced them was 27 years ago, when a falling 4'
diameter tree hit a 40' Blackwwood halfway up, hurling the top half 60'
through the air to land on my house slab, going through where the
balcony and gable end now stand. But there does seem to be a bit more
energy in the atmosphere now than before - several high wind days during
the ten just spent out on the farm (~250 km eastward) rattled the house
as it's rarely been buffeted in 52 years - but consistently hard for
days longer.

I think there must have been a bit of dryrot in the big Redgums which
snapped off here. Even a couple of gusts timed to resonance with the
tree's whippiness oughtn't be able to snap a 1m diameter - even though a
lot of length each side of the snap, plus a big crown, makes for tens of
tons flailing back and forth 10m or more at the top.