If that is the bottom flange, just cut it off 2" above the flange,
shorten the tube and but weld the tube back together again.
If it is welded properly, then there will be no loss in strength.   No
machining is required.
If you haven't done much welding before then it makes sense to find
someone who can weld it properly.

Dave