On Monday 31 October 2016 07:28:23 andy pugh wrote:

> My little digital caliper is playing up. It could just be a low
> battery, it has been flashing the LCD for at least a year.
> (As an aside, why do they run normally for about a week then flash the
> display for about a year?)
> Anyway, moving the slider very slowly it goes from 0.3995" straight to
> 1.200", then acts a bit random until it switches from 1,499 to a
> (correct) 0.800"
> Which surprised me, I had assumed that the basic units of the scale
> were metric.

Digital calipers have been historically one of these things that does not
turn off, only killing the display which is half the battery drain. In
your case I would try a fresh battery, but if that doesn't help, its
toast. I have had several that single bars of the display would get dim,
and if you are into watchmaking you can occasionally figure out how to
increase the pressure on the little looks like silicon rubber strip that
connects the display to the pcb.  And while I have done that to 2 or 3
of them, its generally a short term fix.  That rubber has microscopic
silver wires in it for a top to bottom connection without any sideways
shorts, and it gradually collapses until the connection weakens & that
bar fades from view.  Engineering wise, the pcb's are so thin they need
8 to 12 screws to hold then properly, and I've yet to find one that had
more than 4, one in each corner.

I have found little lifetime difference between the $12 ones and the $80
ones, and have gotten to the point that they are a throwaway tool if the
2nd battery that comes with most of them does not restore it to 100%.

My  most recent purchase however does turn completely off and auto zero's
itself where ever its at when turned on, or again if its closed.  Nice
crisp display, but I have become used to swiping the faces with a
finger, and closing it before turning on in order to establish a clean
face contact & a good zero.  I think I've got 14 USD in it. Maybe 6
weeks back. So far my only squawk is that the stainless its made of is
ferrous and magnetized, so its a bear to keep clean, and the auto turn
off is way too fast, about a minute, so I am dependant on the auto zero
when doing comparative readings a minute apart because by the time I
have adjusted whatever I am measuring and ready to take a fresh
measurement, I pick it up to recheck the measurement and its timed out
and shut off. I'd be happier with about a 4x longer timeout. Sadly, they
have become throwaway tools in the last 5 years.

Cheers Andy, Gene Heskett