Well, when I thought this was going to go smoothly, I've run into
mysteries. At my age you'd think I know better than to assume.

I was working out the details of the current wiring to the Anilam. First
surprise, there is no motor tach to the servo amplifiers. They use none
of the PID circuitry on the amp, it is just control voltage in and
motors turn, a simple pulse width modulator. Next surprise is that what
I thought were pulsing tachs on the motor shafts are really DC
generators. I don't see brushes so they must rectify the coil output.
I'll have to take one 'more' apart to confirm. But the signal is clearly
DC as I can spin the handle and get about ten volts plus and minus. So
even more interesting as, 'How do you change the output polarity
depending on which way it is turning?' !! Has anyone seen a setup like
this before? I noticed the date on the console schematics are a couple
of years later than what I think this thing is. The schematic shows what
look like tach feedback to the amps. But absolutely, they are not there
on this machine.

So I'm wondering just how well the Mesa system could deal with just
glass in and motor voltage out. The Anilam does not bounce or even buzz
on a stopped motor. It just sits locked in place and will fight my turns
on the handle to stay in place as if a brake were set.

Thanks, Dan.