On Thursday 02 February 2017 10:02:59 Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:

> On 02/02/2017 03:27 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> > I am using a typical eBay HuangYang VFD on the lathe, and it works
> > nicely with the HAL module (even though it isn't _actually_ real
> > modbus, or so I have heard)
> > Some eBay adverts make a point of stressing that they are selling
> > genuine HuangYang, not fake HuangYang.
>
> I've used Huanyang VFDs on machines at the local hackspace.  If you go
> this route, two notes of caution:
>
> 1.  Make sure to use an AC reactor on the input.

How much reactance is needed?  And is this for electrical noise reduction
or ?

I ask, because this "fake" VFD I am using is about to get a 20 amp rated
Corcom "Brick Wall" filter in front of its 254 volt single phase AC
input, to augment the ferrite clamp-on on its output leads in an attempt
to corral some of its electrical noise. There will also be a pair of 40
amp SSR's in front of that controlled by LCNC. They will be turned on by
motion.motion-enable.

> 2.  The LinuxCNC Huanyang driver only works with the older style of
> Huanyang VFDs.  It does not work with the newer GT-series models.  I'm
> working on a new driver for Huanyang GT VFDs, but it's not ready yet.

Is it so special that a PWMgen, set for PDM mode and a SpinX1 can't run
it?  Whatever this thing I bought actually is, that works fine. Except
for the electrical noise that is.  This takes advantage of the PDM mode
not being a discrete step, but inherently quite stepless.  Response to
the spindle override slider is both smooth and fast, so CCS speed
changes should be smooth and fast.