On Thursday 23 February 2017 23:14:37 Kurt Jacobson wrote:

> Gene, my MPG works great. Does not have any lag at all. The 400ppr did
> throw me off at first when the machine jogged four times the jog
> scale. I put a fix for that in the MPG comp I wrote, it just divides
> the jog scale by whatever the mpg-pulses parameter is set to, 4 in
> this case.
>
> I like the 400ppm as I don't need to use a lowpass like with the
> 100ppm MPGs to get smooth motion.
>
> Kurt

Thats great, Kurt. Thanks. And I'm noodling around, trying to come up
with a way to control the gain so it takes less furious spinning to move
a foot. But every scheme I come up demands the encoder be restored to
zero on the button release before the accumulated count can make the
machine move wildly.  I'll sort out something... There are a lot
of "handles" sticking out of the encoder module. :)

What I'd like is a 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 5.0 etc gain sequence,
extended another decade both directions. I can display the state of the
gain with pyvcp with little problem.