On Friday 24 February 2017 00:08:42 Chris Albertson wrote:

> I don't think it works this way.  It does not power down.   But it
> does work exactly as per the specification.  There are 100 detented
> divisions per revolution.  The A and B phase of course only change
> when there is movement.
>
> In theory you can get 400 steps per rev but the wheel has detents so
> there is no good way to move it to a place between the marks.
>
> This is OK because we get to define what "one revolution" means.  It
> one rev is 0.01 inches them each mark is 0.0001 Will can define it to
> be inches or metric.  The division are as fine or course as you like.
>  If you are building a user interface with this wheel I think what's
> needed is a selector that defines what one revolution means.   It will
> also need a "zero" button and and axis selector
>
> My plan is to place a small micro controller inside the pendent with
> the wheel and an LCD screen and some other controls.  The uP will do
> the translation.

Whereas I have i/o to throw away, so my LCD screen will be pyvcp tallys
on the axis screen & hal modules doing the math. My dials will be
mounted on the apron. Z lower left, X lower right. And my saddle will
grow another piece of 3/8" OD SS pipe from the cable chain at the rear
to the apron top for a piece of cat5 jumper cable I have yet to acquire.
With 72 total I/O I can do some of that in hal.

All predicated on me finding enough round tuits of course. I have a Dr's
appointment this afternoon, a decent excuse to stop someplace and get
some stranded "jumper" cat5 for the cable chain. I'll get one of the
elderly girls across the street to come in and sit with Dee while I'm
gone.