If you have a part with a large bore through the middle, how do you
set up to machine a hole exactly perpendicular to the axis of that
bore?

I imagine that this is quite a common problem, so must have a common solution?

My particular setup puzzle is analagous to this, except that I will be
using the horizontal spindle.

Machining this casting: https://goo.gl/photos/6QhNnqjzRuSJJpva7

The order of operations will be, starting with the raw casting:
1) with the large flat face clamped down to the table machine the base flat.
2) Now clamp the base to the table, face off the large flat face and
machine the large bore.
3) Return to the original setup and machine a key-slot in the base
_exactly_ on the axis of the large bore.

3) is the problem. I can indicate the base to make sure that is
perpendicular to the spindle axis, but how do I make sure that the
bore axis and the spindle axis intersect?

--
atp
lunatics."