On 30.03.17 12:02, andy pugh wrote:
> My particular setup puzzle is analagous to this, except that I will be
> using the horizontal spindle.
>
> Machining this casting: https://goo.gl/photos/6QhNnqjzRuSJJpva7
>
> The order of operations will be, starting with the raw casting:
> 1) with the large flat face clamped down to the table machine the base flat.
> 2) Now clamp the base to the table, face off the large flat face and
> machine the large bore.

Perhaps clamp the base with spacers, so that a milling cutter can pass
under to pre-machine a D-shaped key-slot with X locked on the bore
position. The key-slot edges can then be clocked if it needs to be
re-machined for a flat bottom. If there's enough meat, a smaller slot
drill might be able to make a round-cornered key-slot deep enough,
but probably not long enough.

> 3) Return to the original setup and machine a key-slot in the base
> _exactly_ on the axis of the large bore.
>
> 3) is the problem. I can indicate the base to make sure that is
> perpendicular to the spindle axis, but how do I make sure that the
> bore axis and the spindle axis intersect?

Yes, that's the step which should only be done with the key-slot
alignment pre-machined.

Erik