On 30 March 2017 at 20:38, John Kasunich <jmkasun...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Put two t-nuts in the center t-slot, bolt one cylinder down using one of the
> nuts in a arbitrary location.  Set the part over the cylinder, insert the
> second cylinder and slide them apart until the two cylinders are touching the
> inside of your big bore at the left and right sides.  Tighten down the second
> cylinder.  Carefully lift the part up and off.
> The gap between the cylinders is centered on the big bore.  Use the coaxial
> indicator (spindle off, rotate manually) to center the spindle in the gap.
> Lock X.  Replace part, indicate base perpendicular to spindle, clamp down.

Thanks, that does seem like it should work, yes. And saves me trying
to find a big lump of material.

Another idea just came to mind too. I have a three-jaw chuck that
bolts down to the mill table. I could perhaps indicate to a rod held
in that, then expand the jaws into the bore of the part.
I would need to check how true it runs, of course, it might well have
ended up in my possession for a good reason.

--
atp
lunatics."