On 20.04.17 14:51, Gene Heskett wrote:
> The led makers have now had 40+ years to design such a package, and I
> fail to understand why it has not happened.

Somewhere near the bottom of my junkbox is an envelope with a pair of
Siemens opto-link (real product name long forgotten) devices, which came
out around 35 years ago. They're small grey rectangles with through-hole
pins, and a fibre entry with ring-nut (like on a collet holder) on one
end. Dunno if they're still marketed, though.

At Digi-key, this Broadcom offering looks just like one end:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/broadcom-limited/SP000063858/516-2872-ND/2220931

But that would leave the rest of my coil of shielded twisted-pair (for
RS485) cable gathering dust. With 7v of permissible common-mode, and
differential transmission for noise immunity, what more is really
needed? RS485 transceivers are around $2 to $3 IIRC. (I saw some for 25c
today, but they were surplus stock of a now obsolete device.)

Erik