In other words you just need long distance opto-isolators.

On Saturday, April 22, 2017, 2:06:53 PM MDT, Gene Heskett
<ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
Gee I wish I could convince folks I do NOT need a serial signal at such
and such a baud rate. ALL I want to do is turn on an led shining into
the fiber at one end, and detect it with a high gain phototransistor at
the other end. Seems pretty simple to me.  Turn on the led shining into
the end of the fiber for 3 u-secs, the phototransistor does a turnon at
the other end, and voila! a step pulse, with no noise being shoved into
the circuit on either end.  Leave another led turned on for the duration
of the dir signal when I want to reverse the direction. rs-422-485
gismos I have a bag of 5, still haven't found a place to put them other
than hanging on the end of a usb extension cable as a pretty, lights up
bright red so I can pick my way out of the garage if the overhead
lighting breaker fails. I was going to use one to drive my vfd, till I
found the fake vfd didn't didn't have any seriel circuitry, not even
designed in but un-populated on its boards.  A SpinX1 runs it rather
nicely after I programmed it from its own keypad.