On Saturday 22 April 2017 20:03:05 dave wrote:

> Gene,
> I thought about the limit switch thing years ago. The problem is
> getting enough energy into a small fiber.
> 62.5 um is not a large target. However, 900 um fiber if you can find
> it might be just right. For short runs even plastic fiber should work.
>
> Dave

This stuff I'm looking at is plastic, a 1.2mm core with a 2.0mm jacket.
Plastic of course. The longest run would in the 16 feet range.

Step-dir lines to the drivers maybe 40".  At the response times I'd
expect, losses should not be that bad even in plastic.

I watched the local cable folks install a fiber link from our studio
output to the cable head end in Enterprise WV, 39 klicks long as the
cable went. This was in about 1998.  Had to send the splicer back and
get new knives or something in it, but when it came back, the first cut
& termination they did was good. 0.47 db of loss in that 39 klicks of
fiber. I half expected 15 to 20 db of loss. Blew me away.  I probably
failed but tried not to look impressed.