From my understanding, a straight Debian armhf distro install will run
on the rPi 2 and rPi 3. It should also provide performance improvements
over Raspbian. When Raspbian is built there are many compiler flags that
are disabled for things like vector instructions, etc. This is for
backward compatibility with the first generation of the rPi which has a
much older and stripped down ARM core.

I have no idea if packages compiled for use on an armhf Debian
environment would run on Raspbian, but my guess is that there would be
issues in addition to poor performance depending on the package.

I was looking at using the rPi 2/3 for some realtime audio stuff and
moving to a full fledged armhf distro with the ARM equivalent of SIMD
(vector) instructions enabled made a HUGE difference in what could be
accomplished. I found that Raspbian really hamstrung the performance of
the newer boards and moving to a full fledged armhf distro was like a
night and day performance difference. It went from "this won't work" to
"wow, what else can I throw at this thing!" This was quite some time ago
so perhaps Raspbian has improved? That project got put aside due to
other priorities :(