I'm a long-tine Linux user, staring in the mid1990's when Linux was
distributed on a set of floppy disks.  Before that I remember BSD UNIX and
yes even "Multics".    Anyone else remember how the name "Unix" was a an
editorial comment about Multics?  That was in the 1980's

I've been a full-time user of Linux-like software going back maybe 15 year
before Linux was written.

I'm using Linux and one other open source Real Time OS ("mbed" a layer over
Keil RTX) in a line of robots.  Using my machine tools to build parts for
same.

So yes, I really would like to see a linux based end to end CAD/AM
workflow.   It appears the one just barely exists for 3D printing.  There
are 3D modelers and drafting tools (Blender and FreeCAD) but the missing
link is g-code generation to drive 3D metal cutting tools.

The current stat of the art with Linux CAM is about where it was with PCB
design before Cern tool over KiCAD.  It was possible but not really
practical.

I doubt things will change until some one with loads of cash and no need to
earn money adopts Linux based CAM and pays a full-time staff of engineers
to work on it for a few years.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California