You are welcome. If I manage to get a recent version of LCNC running you'll probably see some changes to mb2hal. For a start I want to look into why it uses so much CPU. Scanning 55 inputs and 55 outputs plus a few registers at 20Hz ends up using 25% of the CPU which seems excessive.

I've just built a preempt-rt kernel for Ubuntu 16.04. I might have just enough time tonight to download and build LinuxCNC Git master. It will be interesting to see how it behaves under preempt-rt.

Les

On 28/06/2017 19:37, Todd Zuercher wrote:
If you install from buildbot, both linuxcnc and linuxcnc-dev I am pretty sure
that is all you need to be able to build hal components using halcompile.
You don't have to have all of the resources to build all of Linuxcnc from
source.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Les Newell" <les.new...@fastmail.co.uk>
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 2:26:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Rough motion with servos

Hi Todd,

I am building from source. I have tried several distros:
Debian - something old, I can't remember what. This has been running
fine for about 8 years but it lacks driver support for modern hardware.
Ubuntu 10.04 LinuxCNC ISO - appears to run smoothly but I can't test
properly until I get LCNC to build. It's also a bit long in the tooth.
Ubuntu 16.04 LinuxCNC ISO - runs rough but I can build fine. I've tried
various different branches of LinuxCNC, including one that is close to
what I was originally running, on this and they all run rough.

Are you sure all of your custom modules are still "custom", or needed?  There
have been a lot of little goodies added to Linuxcnc since 2.5-2.6 days.
Yes, some of the modules do have fairly direct replacements, such as my
original Modbus component and the new MB2HAl (which is based on my
original). However I have extra stuff to control my spindle and
electronically controlled gearbox which don't have direct replacements.

Maybe they can be added using halcompile (formerly known as comp)?
Yes, most are comps but I still need a working build environment.

I am wondering if now would be a good time to move away from RTAI and
use preempt-rt instead. My reasoning behind that is that I have two
projects coming up that use HM2 ethernet boards so I'll have to work
with preempt-rt at some point. Keeping everything on the same platform
will simplify maintenance in the future.

Les