On 08/16/2017 09:57 AM, Eric H. Johnson wrote:
All,

I installed linuxcnc 2.8.0-pre to Xubuntu 12.04, and was running for
some time. I seemed to have upgraded something I should not. The sim
configurations worked, but the default 7i43-small just locks up with
no error message. Nothing responds. Can only power off computer.

That's terrible! What version of linuxcnc were you running? Was this an RTAI build?

I tried apt-get remove of linuxcnc and then apt-get install, but
following that, even the sims do not work.

How do I completely remove 2.8.0-pre and install 2.8 released?

2.8 has not been released yet. 2.7 is the latest stable release, is that what you want?

To get that you have to do this:

* Edit your apt sources in /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list, find the line that gets 2.8 debs from the linuxcnc buildbot, and comment it out. Also make sure you have a line that gets 2.7 debs, either from www.linuxcnc.org (if you only want the officially released 2.7 builds) or from the buildbot (if you want the "developer" builds of 2.7 that come in between the official releases).

* Run "apt-get update" to refresh your machine's list of available packages.

* Manually remove the 2.8~pre debs and install the 2.7 debs. The easiest way to do this is probably "apt-get remove linuxcnc" (to remove whatever version you currently have installed) followed by "apt-get install linuxcnc" (to install the latest known version, which should now be 2.7).

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky