On Sunday 08 October 2017 01:34:58 Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 03.01.12 23:32, gene heskett wrote:
> > But I have to get rid of the rest of those red sata cables.  That
> > red die eats the copper wire inside the cable like it was battery
> > acid, and has been doing that to cables around me since the rollover
> > to the '70's took all that cable manufacturing first to the J. A.
> > Pan company and eventually to China. 3 years and the copper in a
> > wire with that insulation can be shook out of the end of the
> > insulation as brown dust.  I have 5 dead sata cables hanging on a
> > drawer knob behind me just to keep me reminded, and I grab cables of
> > other colors when I can just so I have spares on hand.
>
> Many thanks Gene, for that heads up back in 2012. I've just come back
> from nearly a fortnight on the farm, and my desk machine locked up in
> the middle of reading mail, then wouldn't boot, despite several
> attempts. Fortunately the side's off, so I could see two SATA cables
> in your least favourite colour, and the wet RAM functioned well enough
> to recall your warning. Swapped the cable with a black one, and it
> came up faster than it's done in a while.
>
> My self-destructing red SATA cables lasted 31 months,

About par for those it seems.
> so not quite 3
> years - but we've just had a record warm winter, and the summers are
> each a new record, so Arrhenius has to be allowed for, I figure.

I take it that this Arrhenius is the equ to our infamous Mr. Murphy, who
wrote all those "Murphy's Laws?"  He alternates between a friends place
down in Tennessee, and my place when he gets thirsty, and comes in and
drinks my last beer in the wee hours of the morning.

> Anyway, the damn things are still out there.

They are a #@&^%$ virus, but they are purty, so they fly off the pegboard
displays,  P.T. Barnum was right.