On 09.10.17 09:06, sam sokolik wrote:
> I am very doubtful that the red dye is causing the problem..  (I dissected a
> few styes - all have shielded pairs)

Agreed. To see if the described "powdered copper wire" was the cause, I
hacked into my replaced cable last night, and found that there's Al foil
and a lot of clear polyethylene (or similar) in between. Furthermore,
the substantial tinned conductors were pristine.

So all I can truly report is that nothing would bring the machine back
to life until I replaced the cable, and boot times and disk performance
are 2 - 4 times better than shortly before it went catatonic.
Reason? Dunno. So just a time-saving fortuitous coincidence?
(It was the quickest dead-computer, can't be flogged back into life, fix
I've ever done - less than 60 seconds.)

Erik