Some of the "Driveswarehouse" type places sell solid state "phase converters" that have no speed control, but they seem to cost as much or more than the equivalent sized VFD.    No idea why.   It must be driven by the marketplace. I suppose if all you are driving is a blower or pump then having onboard braking circuitry might be close to worthless. The Estop requirements on most automation machinery requires a rapid stop on all rotating machinery. So... is anyone going to buy the $125 5 hp drive and let us know how long it lasts before the drive goes "pop".  ;-)

Dave