On 28 Jan 2018, at 07:00, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Saturday 27 January 2018 22:03:33 Eric Keller wrote:
>
>> Bison maybe?  Currently considered to be pretty good, and priced
>> accordingly.
>
> So I've noted already.
>
> All the Bisons I see today have a brass logo button inlaid in the face.
> That does not exist and no place it was exists on this one.

I have a TOS 4 jaw self-centring chuck for my mill (lives on a plate, and faces
upwards, for use holding cylindrical stock facing upwards. That's Polish, but,
like the Bison, has a round recessed glued-in badge. The quality is ok.
Interestingly. my impression is that there arefewer Polish chucks for sale at
the moment, because the centre of low cost production seems now to be India.
Don't let me get started on 'quality'.
I have a Burnerd Griptru chuck on my lathe. I bought it new in 1975, and I
would defend the quality and accuracy against all comers. It's an adjustable
device which uses 3 conical adjustment screws in the body to bear on a loose
fitting backplate, and although it holds its accuracy on everyday tasks, it can
be adjusted to within 0.001mm for any given diameter (let's say half a tenth,
in old money). This supplier has a useful conversion kit for standard chucks up
to 5 inches
http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/Adjustable_Backplate.html
so I suppose you could make a device like that. It's one step up from
adjustment with a machinist's hammer.

Marcus