On Friday 16 February 2018 00:09:14 Chris Albertson wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 8:06 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > On Tuesday 13 February 2018 20:04:27 jeremy youngs wrote:
> > > I had to service this motor today, as a previous technician had
> > > improperly installed the brushes and it would are off at speed. In
> > > doing so I removed the tach cover and found plenty of room for an
> > > omron encoder. So I will not likely try these for spindle encoder.
> > > But will be putting them in as home switches soon.
> > >
> > > Gene, you are absolutely right about the optos, the strongest and
> > > best these have performed today after I replaced the bob to a
> > > straight through board. However, I discovered my y axis ballscrews
> > > is bent.
> >
> > Ouch. Time to do it right. But how the heck did it get bent?  I'd
> > find out why, and fix it.
>
> If you have a massive machine and a powerful motor the motor can
> accelerate and produce a large force.
> The ball screw is no different from any other steel column and based
> on the ratio to length over diameter will buckle if enough force is
> applied. In other words nothing has to be broken to bend a ball screw.
>  OK the CNC controller has the maximum acceleration set to high.  To
> protect the ball screw the acceleration has to be limited based how
> far down the screw the nut is.     From a mechanical engineering point
> of view a ball screw is simply an unsupported column.
>
> The force on the screw might be much more then the weight of the
> machine.

I'd submit that the screw was originally too small for the job. A Y screw
in the context of a milling machine, usually has only the table and its
mounted mass to deal with and the weight is handled by the ways. If it
was under a half ton of knee, I could see it being stressed, but in that
case I'd expect to see nut damage before it bent.

But pix of the machine I haven't seen, so all this is idle assumptions on
my part as I may not have a good image in my mind.

Thanks Chris.