But if 99% of the devices out there are physical CAN bus based and there is
already a CANopen driver for Linux,  is the interface to CANopen transparent
for both systems?

What I mean, and I may not be clear on this, is if the LinuxCNC has the
capability of being a CANopen Master then how do you see your code handling
both bus architectures?   Or should it?

For example.   Say my LinuxCNC needs to turn on a coolant (MIST) pump.  And
the device out there is a CANopen relay module with ID 7 that uses Bit 3 of
Byte 1 in PDO 0x287 to enable the relay that controls the coolant (MIST)
pump and Bit 2 of Byte 1 to control the coolant (FLOOD) pump.

>From the G-Code (M07) perspective the Pump On results in the periodic PDO
0x287 to have Bit 3 in Byte 1 set.   An M09 would turn off both mist and
flood so Bits 2 and 3 would be cleared.  The PDO message could be periodic
or periodic and on change of state for faster response.

So I guess I'm asking how does an M07 become either (or both) an Ethercat
CANopen  message and/or a physical CAN bus CANopen message?

Thanks
John

CANopen