Quick mini survey.  If you have a knee mill, where have you mounted your
home switches?
I understand it doesn't matter because the machine coordinate system is only
used to establish a fixed reference.  For the rest of the time we use
various world coordinate systems with the G54...

So the switches:
For the Y axis so the bed moves towards you or away?
For the X axis so the bed moves to the left or to the right?
The Z axis obvious because we always want it to move away from the tool tip
to avoid a crash.

For example, if you periodically put your 4th Axis on the left hand side of
the bed it's probably better to have the system home so the table moves to
the left. In effect this makes the tool move to the right Just in case you
ask it to home but forgot that you had the 4th axis bolted down.

And that brings up the third question about a 4th axis.  If you have one, do
you tend to put it on the left just like a lathe spindle or on the right?
Any reason for the preference?  Often there are tool changers on the left so
it makes more sense to have the 4th on the right.

Thanks
John