The power supply cabinet I'm putting together for my Mill has a terminal
strip with ground and 105VDC power (1500W) with one pair of terminals for
each axis.   From that strip I run one pair to each Servo Drive.  From each
Servo Drive a pair to the motor.  The encoder cables enter the Servo Drives
on a different side of the board and will be not be run in parallel with the
motor cables.  Stepper motor for the knee has its'  own power supply and it
too runs separately  (power and ground) to the Gecko.  These high power
supplies are all run with 220VAC through a separate contactor controlled by
the ESTOP.

The PMDX-126, the 24VDC and the PC/Monitor are also on a 220VAC circuit that
is live from the Mill Master Switch.  The 24VDC supply is what I'd refer to
as the instrument bus and it's used for a variety of controls like the
control side of the STMBL Servo drive and 12V supply for the DRO..  It will
share the DC ground with the PMDX-126 breakout board, PC USB and ultimately
a series of CAN bus based controls for tool changer etc.

I wanted to also run the 24V into a 15V regulator to provide power for the
control side of the HP-UHU servo drives but here is where that pesky ground
sneaks in again.  Connecting a 15V supply sourced from the instrument power
that then runs the HP_UHU connects the Instrument power to the Servo Power
ground.  The step/dir/error from the HP_UHU is optically isolated so I don't
have to worry there.

The Servo Power Transformer has a 12VAC winding which through a bridge gives
me roughly 16V which is the better source for the 15V that not only is
regulated down to 5V for the HP_UHU but also supplies the gate bias voltage
for the FETs.  I'll only know if it works well enough once I put a scope on
the running system.

This is an example of where I'm not sure I see any value in ever connecting
the two DC grounds together.  As long as there isn't a return path for the
high voltage DC through any part of the instrument bus DC circuit it doesn't
matter if the high voltage DC ground became completely disconnected.  But
connect both of those DC grounds to Earth (metal cabinet etc) and now the
potential for high voltage, through component failure running through the
instrument circuit, to instrument ground to earth back up into high voltage
ground is more likely.  And touching that high voltage now ungrounded
section and perhaps the metal frame puts the body into the circuit.

And yet if you have, say an audio amplifier or radio transmitter with both
48V and 5V that share a common ground a circuit failure usually smokes
things.  But those are all usually in a sealed metal cabinet.    A system
where the various devices are placed around the equipment, not all in a box
is different.

John