For reducing interference DC grounds are often connected to the metal
cabinet with capacitors.  The path of HF noise is often not what you think
compared to DC. Sometimes also done with, as you suggest, a high value
resistor in parallel with a capacitor.

But I agree.  Following the rules is generally the best approach.

John

AC
> power inside The cabinet MUST be grounded to the earth pin on the power
> socket and there are rules about using a dedicated screw (not used for
> other purposes) and close to the power entrance.
>
> If you don't like the this then the other option is "double insulated"
> design which mostly means a non-conductive cabinet made from perhaps
> ABS
> plastic.
>
> There is good reason to tie you DC ground to safety ground at one point,
> even if you use a 1M resister to do this.   Many times (especially with
> vacuum tube circuits but in other cases too) there are leakage paths and a
> ground left floating can float up to a high voltage.  So many times we
find
> some kind of RC circuit used, but more commonly a simpl wire inside the
> power supply.
>
> The idea is that is must remain safe even AFTER is major failure such as
> insulation melting off an overloaded wire because of a fire.
>
> You will NEVER think of everything yourself, so just follow the rules.
> They are the result of 100 years of world-wide experience.
>
> Most consumer products we buy today use double insulation.  But if you are
> using a metal external housing, double insulation is complex
>
> The best plan is to pretend you are actually going to SELL the machines
you
> are wiring up.  Keep is "legal" in both the US and EU and you are OK.
>  There is a strong temptation to say "It is just my own toys in my own
> house and I never plan to apply for a UL Lab sticker so way bother with
> their rules?"
>

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 11:05 AM John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
> wrote:
>
> > The power supply cabinet I'm putting together for my Mill has a terminal
> > strip with ground and 105VDC power (1500W) with one pair of terminals
> for
> > each axis.   From that strip I run one pair to each Servo Drive.  From
each
> > Servo Drive a pair to the motor.  The encoder cables enter the Servo
Drives